Natural History Society

General News

I'm thrilled to bring you the latest update on the Senior School bioactive vivarium project. We’ve made some exciting progress this week.
This week, we focused on painting the backs of the vivarium and we’re really pleased with the result! We applied two coats of black dry lock, which took a bit of time because of the meticulous care we put into filling all the little holes. Attention to detail is key, and our students nailed it!

But we didn't stop there. After the black dry lock, we dry brushed the vivarium with brown dry lock, giving it a gorgeous and natural-looking finish. Not only does this painting process enhance the visual appeal, but it also serves a practical purpose. The dry lock will help retain moisture in the tank and significantly reduce the risk of mold growth. It's a win-win!
Looking ahead, our next steps are just as exciting. Next week, we'll be sticking down the wood and getting everything in place with a false bottom. It's an important part of creating the ideal environment for our vivarium's inhabitants. Once that's done, all that will be left is to introduce the vibrant and diverse range of plants that will bring our vivarium to life!
We want to express our gratitude to all the parents for your continued support and encouragement.
Stay tuned for more updates as we make further progress on our bioactive vivarium. The enthusiasm and dedication of our students are truly inspiring, and I can't wait to see the final result. Thank you once again for being a part of this remarkable project!
Best wishes,
Mr. Fyfe