“Teachers who really take the time to get to know the pupils and create a unique environment.”Bruern Abbey Senior School Parent 2023
Bruern Abbey Senior School is a boys-only weekly boarding and day school. The school is based in the small village of Chilton, Buckinghamshire, a 20-minute drive from the Bruern Prep School site, and situated with excellent transport links to London.
The centre of the school is a Georgian manor house that was built in 1740. The house was based on William Winde’s Buckingham House in London. Buckingham House would later become Buckingham Palace, and the official residence of the British monarch since 1837. The school benefits from impressive grounds, as well as the use of the associated barns, stable block and clock tower to provide a range of inspiring learning spaces.
The weekly structure allows for a busy action-packed week between Monday morning and Friday afternoon, whilst also offering the boys a full weekend with their families.
In many respects, Bruern Abbey Senior School is similar to a traditional public school for boys aged 13 to 16, with breadth to the curriculum, including GCSEs and other nationally recognised qualifications, full and varied sports, and co-curricular programmes coupled with Bruern’s outstanding pastoral care.
Academically, Bruern Abbey Senior School will prepare its students for success in their 16+ exams and preparation for life beyond, by offering the following differences from traditional senior schooling:
● An enhanced focus on literacy and numeracy: the school will offer more English and Maths lessons than other standard senior schools for all pupils
● Small classes of ten boys or fewer, allowing pupils more individual attention in class
● Subject options that allow boys with specific learning difficulties to thrive, including a strong focus on entrepreneurship, coursework assessed subjects and hands-on learning
● A bespoke timetable that avoids the traditional pitfalls of large amounts of independent study in the evenings
● The extensive use of IT as a tool with which to deliver the curriculum, and support pupils in their learning
In line with the Prep School, Bruern Senior is committed to providing a tailored education in inspiring surroundings and maintains high expectations for all boys’ academic futures. Bespoke and expert teaching coupled with a broad appreciation of the value of an all-round education, enhances boys’ self-esteem thereby creating an atmosphere conducive to success.John Floyd, Executive Head, Bruern Abbey School