Match Reports Friday 13th March


Match Reports Friday 13th March

On Wednesday four Colts teams travelled to Moulsford, together with the two Senior teams, to enjoy an afternoon of football in sunny conditions. With exams behind them, it was a perfect opportunity to focus solely on the football. You can read the individual match reports below.

Upper Sixth vs Moulsford

This week an exam-weary Upper Sixth team travelled to Mouslford for the penultimate inter-school fixture of the term. The game was played in good spirits, with both teams up for the fixture and looking to gain the win. Moulsford made the better start but Bruern grew into the game and started to threaten the Moulsford goal with regularity. Frustratingly though, the Moulsford keeper was in inspired form and the scores remained level until half time. As the second half started, the game burst into life with Bruern finally breaking the deadlock thanks to an Ollie C goal. Like the old saying goes, one brings two and Moulsford soon equalised with a fantastic strike which left poor Freddie P with no chance of making a save. The second half was a far more even affair, with both teams going all out for the win. Bruern got their noses in front with about 10 minutes to go when George W poked one past the goalkeeper. It looked like the boys were going to hold out for the winner but with almost the final kick of the game, Moulsford snatched an equaliser with another fine strike into the top corner and the game finished 2-2.

Well done to all the boys involved; it was a very entertaining game to watch and another that we probably should have come away from victorious. Thank you as ever to all the parents who were able to attend.

Mr B Bryant

Lower Sixth vs Moulsford

The game itself was played in horrendous conditions as gale force winds tore through the fields, causing us all sorts of problems defensively as every time the ball was cleared it was blown straight back. It didn’t take the opposition long to realise this as time and again they brought attackers into our half. Despite trying to repel the attacks, we were soon trailing as not one but two goals flew in. The message quickly became about damage limitation as goals three and four went in! Thankfully the half time whistle arrived to keep the score 4-0. Sadly the second half followed the same pattern, as the boys were yet to score but conceded five more goals as the match finished 9-0.

Matches like this are always bitterly disappointing for the boys to take, however, they are often good at pointing out areas to improve. The main concern this week was the attitude of some boys, after some very positive results this term I think complacency set in! Hopefully the boys can use this result as inspiration for the coming weeks.

Well done for fighting on throughout and thank you to the parents for coming to watch.

Mr E Bryant

Colts Green vs Moulsford

After the warm up and some 'attack vs defence' preparation, the match started with Bruern playing into the brisk wind. Both teams were organised and passed the ball effectively - it soon became clear this was going to be a great match. The play went from end to end, but it was Moulsford who created the better goal scoring opportunities, only to see their efforts miss the target, or saved by Harry S in the Bruern goal. Half time provided the players with a welcome break and drink.

The second half started much the same, with both teams keen to convert an opportunity; Moulsford again creating most of the chances and Bruern denying them, with solid defence and acrobatic goal keeping. Late on in the half, Moulsford managed to slide a shot through a mass of bodies to go a goal up. Bruern stood firm, but without any subs, no one had the chance to rest and tired legs gave Moulsford a chance to finish the match with a second goal.

It was a great game, with all the boys playing their part. Man of the match is a difficult one to call; it could have easily gone to Jonny P for his commitment as he must have covered the most ground out of any player. However, man of the match goes to Harry S, who as the Bruern keep, kept the match alive with numerous stunning saves.

Thanks to those parents who were able to watch - as always it does help having support on the side-lines.

Mr M Moore

Colts Blue vs Moulsford

On Wednesday, Colts Blue team headed to Moulsford along with several other Bruern teams. The six boys played brilliantly as a new formation and had great stamina during their three short matches.

The pitch was not entirely level and was working against them but goalkeepers Tom H and Freddie K, with the help of defender Hugo TC, put in a great performance and made Moulsford work hard for the goals they scored. Charlie R scored a well earned goal with the support of Dom S and Maxi S and overall the boys were rightly proud of their performance.

Mr K Craven

Colts Red vs Moulsford

The Colts Red team had an enjoyable fixture away at Moulsford this Wednesday. The game started well for Bruern, centre backs Miles W and Teddy C leading the way with some crunching tackles and solid clearances respectively. This gave the platform for industrious midfielders Seb G and Louis J to start moving the ball up-field with some elusive runs. These early chances, however, failed to produce a goal and not being clinical enough with the chances we did have would end up costing Bruern.

A fantastic strike from a Moulsford player buried in the top corner before a moment of miscommunication at the back left an open goal for 2-0. Within the blink of an eye the game had changed and became an uphill struggle. Rapid attacking players Gabriel H and Rory C both threatened at different times to pull a goal back for Bruern, only to be denied by good keeping.

Man of the match however goes to our fantastic goalkeeper Charlie C who not only produced three excellent and fearless short-range saves but also saved a penalty! All the boys deserve credit for their cheery and positive attitude throughout the match and for the way they steadily improved as the game went on, despite a final score of 5-0.

Mr O Page

Colts Yellow vs Moulsford

On a lovely spring morning Bruern travelled en masse to the picturesque surroundings of Moulsford School. In what has been a difficult start to the football training due to the bad weather, the Colts maintained their excitement and energy at the prospect of playing an away game.

With Henry W leading the troops the Colts took to the field with positivity and purpose. The game was split into three thirds of 12 minutes; this was an excellent format as it allowed the Bruern Yellow team to re-group, reflect and improve on different aspects of their game. The team are still learning to play together so a naturally slow start saw Moulsford take a 2-0 lead in the first third, but there were lots of positives already. Ethan WB proved a defensive dynamo making great tackles and providing quality long-field balls for Narayan B to pick off. Lawrence W also proved stubborn and alert in goal.

The second third proved the boys' best performance as they only conceded one goal and created chances of their own. Luke W proved masterful in midfield and it forced Moulsford to step up their game in the last third. This they did and they were ruthless, scoring four goals against a tiring Bruern team. So another day out for the Colts where they were able to learn more about each other as a team and as footballers. Well done boys! Onwards and upwards!

Mr S Vadivale